March 11, 2014

Happy 20th Anniversary to TCM!

So, as most of you probably already know, Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is celebrating its twentieth anniversary this year! I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to tell you what TCM means to me and how it's shaped my life up till now. So, without further ado, my toast to TCM:

I may be aging and sprouting more gray hairs as we speak (or, err, type) but I still remember the first day our house got TCM as part of our regular cable package. It was an otherwise unassuming day in a small town just outside of Toronto, Ontario, Canada and I gingerly made my way up my street to the communal mailbox to retrieve what I thought was another whackload of bills and ads. One of the envelopes I ended up pulling from the depths of the mailbox was from our cable provider telling us that as part of our basic cable package, we would now have access to ten more specialty channels. One of those channels was TCM.

My days afterward were filled with constant streams of black and white films and if anyone in my house dared to change the channel, I'd whip my Italian slipper off my foot and launch it in his/her general direction. I had awful aim - and still do - but still, I taught them a lesson. I was obsessed with TCM and referred to it as "my classic movie channel" as if it was brought to Canada especially for me.

TCM brought me that much closer to what has become my life-long passion: classic film. It's comforted me when I was feeling down and helped me get better when I was ill. It's given me strength when members of my family were stricken with cancer and disease, lifting me up from the depths of worry and despair. TCM is my cure-all. Late at night when I can't sleep or early on a Saturday morning when I'm restless and eager to start my weekend, TCM is there for me. Yes, I know this is all starting to sound terribly cliche and a tad bit morbid, but I'm speaking the truth.

I'm sure this is the same for many of you. I'm almost 100% certain that you feel the same way I do about our favourite classic movie channel. Just think of how many 'favourites' we've discovered with the help of just ONE channel. Think of how many remarkable friends we've made through TCM, its annual film festival, and Twitter's own #TCMParty tag -- personally speaking, I've met some absolute gems that I couldn't picture my life without now! You all are amazing xx

Thank you TCM. Here's to many more years of life-changing programming and exciting film fests!

*clink*

7 comments:

  1. TCM entered my life when I asked my grandpa to sign for a bigger cable service, that would include Disney Channel. he and my grandma, on the other hand, started enjoying that channel with old movies. It was this way that I could see The Seven Faces of Doctor Lao and captain Courageous with them. Soon, I became a fan of the series in the channel, especially Get Smart. And, when I was 16, I fell in love with classic movies. They helped me go through a tough time of bullying in high school, and my biggest regret is not watching more old films when I could.
    Now, Brazilian TCM turned into crap. Only 80s or 90s movies, with classics sometimes very earley in the morning (4 am). Luckily, I have a cult channel that airs classics every now and then (a Carole Lombard one next week! Yay!), and, of course, tha amazing onlin community.
    Sorry if this was too long! ;)
    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this with me! I used to love watching Get Smart too! From what I remember, it used to be on around lunchtime in the summer and I always watched it in the kitchen whilst I ate.

      I didn't know that TCM had a Brazilian channel, but it hardly seems 'classic' if all it shows are films from the 80s and 90s. Too bad you can't get the North American TCM :(

      Delete
  2. As much as I love watching classic (and even not so classic) older films, I confess that I haven't always given the TCM the respect it deserves. Sure, I'd look over the schedule and watch something now and then, but usually I just found movies at the library or on Netflix. But since the TCM app became available, I can watch all those old films that can't be seen anywhere else and don't have to be sitting at home and/or taking up space on my DVR. Now I see several recently-aired movies a week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envy you. I do. Unfortunately the Watch TCM app is not available in Canada and I'm so bitter about it *sadface* You're so lucky! Like you said, it must come in really handy.

      Delete
  3. If we received a notice from "Rogers" that TCM were to become part of the package, I didn't read it. I was channel surfing one night and all of a sudden there it was! It was the short "Star in the Night" and there was one of my favourite character actors, J. Carroll Naish and fellow Canuck Donald Woods. It was like TVO's "Saturday Night at the Movies" on steroids. It was a dream come true. TCM is home base and I mean that more than just the place on the TV when the set is turned off and on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember watching TCM when they had their 30 Days of Oscars, but since I moved I don't get that channel anymore. I do miss it though. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, you must be experiencing heavy withdrawal symptoms - NOT fun. I remember what it felt like when I was away from home in October 2013 and I didn't have access to TCM: I missed it every day. Honestly, it left a big void. You don't realize how much you miss something until it's gone. So cliche, but so true.

      Delete

Design by | SweetElectric