February 14, 2014

My Favourite Screen Couples!

Seeing as how it's Valentine's Day today, I thought I'd write a special post listing all of my favourite on-screen couples! They aren't listed in any particular order but I will say this about them: they're all my favourites for a reason, and I explain those reasons down below. Each of these pairings is heaven sent (in my eyes, anyway) and the world of classic film wouldn't be the same without them. They each make me smile, cry, laugh, and dream. Without further ado, here they are:



Fred Astaire + Ginger Rogers: Could there possibly be a more obvious first choice than Fred and Ginger? I think not. In my eyes, they are the ultimate on-screen couple because not only do they complement each other but they give each other traits that they otherwise wouldn't have if they were standing on their own or paired with anybody else. Someone once said that Astaire gave Rogers class and Rogers gave Astaire sex appeal. Yup. They certainly did. Sparks flew, toes tapped, faces were slapped (more than once) and bumbling supporting characters like Eric Blore and Edward Everertt Horton stole almost every scene of every film the pair ever made together.


William Powell + Myrna Loy: God bless these two. That's all I really need to say about Powell and Loy, but for the sake of this blog post, I'll carry on for a few more sentences ... The Thin Man (1934) was the first of their films that I watched and, after that, I made a promise to myself that I'd watch every single one of their other on-screen pairings before my next menstrual cycle (seriously). They were both so haughty and debonair yet really naughty and normal at the same time. They bounced off of each other like two vibrant beach balls and I loved them immediately.


Spencer Tracy + Katharine Hepburn: I would say that these two are the most elegant of the bunch. Possibly even the most well-bred? They ooze intelligence and long-term commitment. They performed alongside each other in nine films over the span of twenty-five years and their audience never once grew tired of them. Sure, some of the films they made together weren't all hits, but the public seemed to always be on their side. Like Powell and Loy, there was a sense of normalcy about them - you could actually picture Tracy and Hepburn married in real life, let alone on-screen. When I'm in the mood for a smart, sophisticated classic film, I know who to call on!


Humphrey Bogart + Lauren Bacall: And to think it all began with a step-by-step explanation of how to whistle! These two were absolute dynamite the moment they appeared on-screen together in Howard Hawks' To Have and Have Not (1944). No other on-screen pairing has elicited so much passion and heated feelings in me and I have no qualms admitting that whatsoever. You all know what I'm talking about. The way Bogie looked at Bacall and the way she flirted with him is enough for me to believe that these two were made for each other. No other screen couple has taught me so much about mutual attraction or sex and I'm a better person for it. Yes, I said it. If I'm a passionate person, it's partly because of the magic that was Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall.


Glenn Ford + Rita Hayworth: Speaking of sex, the next couple on my list was simply drenched in it. Is it just me, or was there a lot of pent up animalistic lust simmering between these two? The first of their movies that I saw was Gilda (1946) and I've made sure to re-watch it at least once every couple of months since then. Gilda is better than reading an issue of Cosmopolitan magazine; there's better sex, better kissing, better salacious back stories, better slapping, and better looking models. Want to get your knickers in a twist? Sit down and watch Ford and Hayworth battle it out on-screen whilst fighting incredibly hard not to bed each other at every moment. Now that's entertainment!


Montgomery Clift + Elizabeth Taylor: Lastly, we come to the two most beautiful people ever photographed together on film. OH. MY. WORD. You'd be hard-pressed to find another equally good-looking couple anywhere - does one even exist?! It's not only their physical beauty that attracts me to Clift and Taylor, rather it's the vulnerable emotional bond that they share. These two were said to have been the best of friends off-screen, and you know what? It shows. It shows every time they look at each other whether on film or in an old photo. Take, for instance, the photo posted above ... look at them. I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say that I'd love to find someone who looks at me that way.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY TO ALL OF YOU!

10 comments:

  1. The only other couple that immediately comes to mind I would add is John Wayne + Maureen O’Hara. Another pair who were always good together but didn’t always play a couple were Bette Davis + George Brent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh God yes, Bette Davis and George Brent were magic together. I haven't seen enough John Wayne movies yet to give my opinion on him and O'Hara being paired, but I'm sure they're just as magical ;)

      Delete
  2. There's a sense of fun in the pairings of Fred and Ginger, and Bill and Myrna that makes them irresistible.

    I also adore the teams of John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara, and Robert Mitchum and Deborah Kerr.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One other favourite couple (how could I forget!) - Errol Flynn + Olivia de Havilland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I debated putting them on my list, but I loved these pairings a little bit more than Errol and Olivia. Does that make me a horrible person?

      Delete
  4. I've always loved Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn and also Grant with Irene Dunne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent list! I'm down with Flynn and De Havilland too, and maybe Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine, even if they were only in two movies together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nick and Nora: how every singl marriage should be to b truly happy. I love them!
    Did you know that there will be a movie about Kate and Spencer? I love them, but I think it'll be very difficult to find people to play them properly.
    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete