February 10, 2014

Fantasyland! If I lived at 5133 Kensington Avenue ...

A view of the charming Smith household at 5135 Kensington Avenue.

Welcome to another edition of Fantasyland! where I dream up ideal scenarios for the classic film fan and insert myself into the daydream. I'm warning you now, if you haven't seen Meet Me In St. Louis (1944) - and really, who hasn't? - you won't understand a single word I'm about to say. If I lived next door to the Smith family at 5133 Kensington Avenue ...
  • Esther Smith (Judy Garland) would be singing about the GIRL next door (namely me),
  • I'd periodically go 'round to the Smith house, call on Tootie (Margaret O'Brien), wait till she was standing in front of me and then give her a great big shove (because, if I'm honest, sometimes she annoys me),
  • I'd get a part-time job helping the milkman deliver milk on the milk wagon,
  • I'd save all my nickles from said part-time job to buy Esther a new nightgown because who knows how much ice cream Tootie spilled on Esther's good lace one,
  • I'd look into every nook and cranny of my home and hope to find a secret passage somewhere - anywhere! There's bound to be at least one in a Victorian house of that caliber,
  • I'd smuggle a bottle of tequila onto that there trolley and get Esther and the gang totally raging drunk - then I'd sheepishly offer to clean up the mess of vomit everywhere on-board (have you seen the way that trolley moves?! It's liable to make anyone queasy),
  • after a hard morning's work on the milk wagon, I'd pop into the Smith house for a lively sing-song 'round the piano with Esther and Rose (Lucille Bremer),
  • in the winter I'd help Tootie and Agnes (Joan Carroll) build snowmen in the backyard (and if Tootie threatened to destroy them in a fit of rage, I'd throw a snowball at her),
  • I'd corner Mama Smith (Mary Astor) and force her to answer the following question: is she at all familiar with the stuff that dreams are made of?,
  • I'd be the judge of how good the Smith family's tomato sauce really is because I'm Italian and we know about things like that, and lastly,
  • I'd want to dance with all the shy, nerdy guys at the Christmas ball because that's how I roll.

Now it's your turn! Tell me what your life would be like if you lived on Kensington Avenue in the comments section below!

4 comments:

  1. I lovvvve this street and harbor many similar fantasies! I think I'll actually have to grab a couple of the houses to satisfy all my dreams. I'll need one for enacting gothic ghost stories, exploring hidden passageways, holding seances and so on... and then one for my extremely alternate street-racing lifestyle—The Fast & Furious house is also on this street!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh a seance! I didn't even think of that!

      Delete
  2. I loved the Mary Astor part! And tequila on the trolley!
    If I lived there, I'd forbud Tootie to go out on Halloween and prevent her from destroying snowmen.
    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! Glad you liked it! Oh yes, Tootie is a menace when it comes to Halloween and snowmen. Chick needs to be locked up.

      Delete