February 6, 2014

Better late than never!

Marlene Dietrich photographed by Irving Penn, 1948.

Is it too late for me to make a New Year's resolution?

As I type this, it's Tuesday, February 4, 2014 and I have just realized something. I've realized that I've got an awful lot of un-watched films sitting on my shelves gathering heaps and heaps of dust (not really though because I'm too much of a clean freak to ever let the pesky white stuff build up). I've also got loads of movies stored on both of my computers and my iPad that I had bought off of iTunes last year that I've never even opened up - or, I've succeeded in opening them up but then abandoned them after, like, half an hour of aimless watching on my part.

The crux of my belated New Year's resolution is this: in 2014 I will endeavour to watch all of the movies that I've bought and then, once I've seen them all, I will allow myself to purchase some more. I, however, will not be buying any more films until I've watched all of the ones I already own! This is important because before I came up with this resolution I was buying and buying (and buying) and not WATCHING. And don't even get me started on classic film-related books! Sheesh! Have you seen my last post?

So why the stunning portrait of Marlene Dietrich, you ask? Well, my first 'viewing mission' begins with her: one of my closest girlfriends bought me the Marlene Dietrich Glamour Collection DVD set last year for my birthday and since then, I've only managed to watch three out of the five films in that collection (watched: Morocco, Blonde Venus, and The Devil Is A Woman, unwatched: Flame of New Orleans and Golden Earrings).

Some of these discs haven't even been taken out of their packaging *sadface*

Here is an embarrassingly long list of films that are currently languishing in my collection that I have not seen yet:

From iTunes: By The Light Of the Silvery Moon, Lawrence Of Arabia, The Odd Couple, A Place In the Sun, A Star Is Born, Ziegfeld Girl.

On my shelves: Algiers, The Great Ziegfeld, Christmas In Connecticut, It Happened on 5th Avenue, Holiday Inn, Wife vs. Secretary, Leave Her To Heaven, Mr. Skeffington, Something Of Value, Edge Of the City, Blackboard Jungle, Lady Of Burlesque, Of Human Bondage, The Southerner, Behind Office Doors, Bad Day At Black Rock, The Star, The Wolf Man, The African Queen, Cleopatra, How To Marry A Millionaire, Notorious, Wild River, Tracy & Hepburn: The Definitive Collection, The Premiere Frank Capra Collection, Myrna Loy & William Powell Collection, Humphrey Bogart: The Essential Collection, Jean Harlow: 100th Anniversary Collection, The Complete Thin Man Collection, The Clark Gable Signature Collection, The Greta Garbo Signature Collection, Ben-Hur, and Paul Newman: The Tribute Collection.

Now, the thing I'd like you to keep in mind is that I have seen some of the films listed above. The reason why I included them was because I haven't actually watched the DVD/bluray/digital copy edition I purchased. For instance, we all know I've seen A Place In the Sun more times than I'd care to admit (helllooooo Monty Clift), but I have yet to sit down and watch the copy I bought off of iTunes. I'm a little disappointed in myself if I'm honest because looking at these lists now, thinking of how much money has essentially gone down the drain, I'm furious at myself for letting products pile up! I do the same thing with makeup but that's another blog post entirely ...

11 comments:

  1. Welcome to the CMBA. You have a wonderful blog, and I'm thrilled that it (and you!) will now be a part of this great classic film blogging community.

    I can relate to what you are saying in this post! I do the same thing. My DVR has about 60 unwatched films in it. My computer has about 2 dozen. Plus, a friend burned me copies of some pre-codes I had been unable to find. I have close to 100 never-seen-before movies to watch. My saying has become..."so many great films, so little time to watch them all."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Patti - you're very kind to say so!

      I'm trying to watch one film per night. I don't know how long that'll last, but that's what I'm sticking to right now. Yesterday afternoon/evening I managed to watch two films so I'm kind of on a roll right now lol Let's see how I do this weekend!

      Delete
  2. Eek, I may have to join you in this—I just bought a couple of those "Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory" sets used for an insanely good deal (like, $10 each! They're normally $50!) and they each have 8 or 9 movies in them. It's a good problem to have... but it's still a problem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had my eye on those particular box sets but I must stick to my resolution (sadly)! You got them at a terrific deal - way to go!

      Delete
  3. Great movie. ;-)
    Lovely greets...

    ReplyDelete
  4. As far as Marlene's Glamour Collection goes, you've watched the best of what's on it. Her Josef von Sternberg-directed films are her best work and wish someone would include them all in one collection. THAT would be a collection worth owning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you - I recently watched 'Flame of New Orleans' and I didn't like it much. Just one more film to go in that collection and then I can cross it off my list!

      Delete
  5. Welcome to the CMBA! Wonderful to have you as part of the gang.

    As far as unwatched DVDs go, I cannot comment. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is a great resolution! I have so many books and movies that I have purchased but have yet to read/watch. Its a shame and I keep wanting to buy more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both darling. You and me BOTH lol

      Delete

Design by | SweetElectric